||JB LARGE & SONS, INC.
We can paint your cat..at least one coat if you
wish. Estimates and advice are free.
- Painters Teaching Painters
- Teaching Painters Teaching Painters
Large & Sons Painting Contractors has been in business since 1970
and is a full-service contractor to serve all your residential,
commercial and industrial painting and remodelling needs. We do
interior and exterior, drywall finishing, deck finishing and
restoration. We servie an 80-mile work range. We do not
offer services for water towers or bridges.
- We Encourage Everyone to Ask Lots of
- BEFORE You Hire Any Contractor
- Use these questions and answers
information to make sure you hire a professional. It is your money. Getting the
best value and a job you are proud to show off is much better than getting the
- What Will It Cost?
- Unfortunately, this is the key
question many people base their decision on. If you only rely on price to
choose you are very likely to end up with a project that peels, cracks or
blisters in the next year.
- Require that every painting
contractor visit your home and conduct a thorough review of your needs. It is
impossible to provide an accurate estimate over the phone without visiting your
property. Painting contractors that provide “ballpark” estimates should be
- Estimates that are written on the
back of a business card are worthless
– because all you know is the price. It is far more important to know the
specific steps that will be performed for the price quoted.
- Along with the price, request a
detailed step-by-step process to paint or install wallpaper from every painting
contractor you meet. This will make it easy to make an apples-to-apples
comparison of specifically what you are getting for the price quoted.
- We provide each homeowner we meet
with our written processes and this allows them to easily understand the
cost of painting or installing new wallpaper or wall coverings for their home
and to compare our proposal with another proposal.
- Painting contractors that are
reluctant to put the details in writing or use sweeping generalizations like
“we will apply 2 finish coats to entire exterior” or “the highest quality paint
will be used” should be avoided. These are phrases that leave too much room for
interpretation AND they allow the unscrupulous contractor to make more money at
- Can I get an estimate over the phone
or via email?
- Painters who will give you a quote
over the phone or via email without meeting you or visiting your property
should be avoided. This is very unprofessional.
- We do not give estimates over the
phone. There are too many variables to simply give an accurate quote. We will
meet you in person, ask you specific questions to gain a full understanding of
your painting and wall covering needs and then provide you with a written
detailed estimate including our detailed preparation and painting procedure for
a typical home.
- What do I need to know about the New
EPA Law on Lead Effective April 22, 2010?
- The New EPA Law Effective April 22,
2010 designed to prevent lead poisoning. This is a very important step to
protect adults and children from the harmful effects of lead paint.
- The company must provide you 2
- 1. One for the company
- 2. One member of the crew
must be a certified lead renovator
applies when it is mutually agreed that lead paint may be present in the
described project. Waivers will be
offered by JBL&S
- Will your insurance agent provide me
with a copy of your Certificate of Insurance?
- Yes. Getting the Certificate of
Insurance directly from the contractor’s insurance agent will provide you with
assurance that the coverage is current.
- The painting contractor is required to maintain
statutory Worker’s Compensation insurance.
- The painting contractor must carry at least $500,000
Liability insurance per incident to do business in Illinois.
- If the painting contractor utilizes sub-contractors –
they all must also meet the same insurance requirements.
- If a painting contractor is unable
to produce the appropriate insurance documents, do not hire them as you may be
responsible for any injuries or other accidents that occur.
- Is it really necessary to check
- Yes. Quality painting contractors
have multiple references from past clients. We believe that a painting
contractor should provide you with a list of at least 15 references – this
prevents the contractor from giving you 3 or 4 “references” that are actually
not real customers but friends or associates.
- We provide a list of more than 20
references you can call if you wish. If
a contractor is unable or unwilling to provide at least 15 references that
should be a warning sign.
- Is it necessary to check business
- Painting contractors should have longstanding
relationships with their local bank and local suppliers. All of their
relationships should be in good standing. Businesses in good standing with the
bank and local suppliers get preferential treatment and pricing which helps
them stay competitive. J. B. Large and Son’s Inc. will be pleased to provide
you with our bank and vendor references.
- Do you provide a discount for
- Yes. We will offer you a discount if
you hire us to paint multiple properties at the same time. The amount of the
discount will be dependent on how close together the projects are and how
similar the projects are to each other.
- How do I get an estimate?
- Simply call us at (217) 245-6086. Office
personnel are in the office each day from 7:30-11:30 AM. Calls at other times
will be answered within 6 hrs except on weekends, and those will be answered by
9:00 AM Monday morning. (Try us!)
- How long does it take to get an
- Once we meet with you – either on
the spot or within 24 hours in almost all cases.
- Do I need to be home when you’re
- Not all the time but we do ask that
you be available each day so we can provide you with our daily update of
progress and answer any questions you have.
- How long does it take?
- Each project is different. We
give you approximate start and finish dates in our proposal so you can plan.
Once we start your project, we stay on it each day until we are finished unless
there are circumstances beyond our control like weather that don’t permit us to
- When you start a job, do you stay
until it’s done?
- Yes. We are motivated to complete
your project as that is the only way we get paid. Once we start your project,
we stay on it each day until we are finished unless there are circumstances
beyond our control like weather that don’t permit us to work.
- What about bathrooms?
- We do ask for access to a bathroom
as a courtesy. We will respect your privacy and your property in using the
- Where will you clean up?
- All tool clean up will be done at
our shop, not on the work site.
- Do you offer Green Products?
- Yes. We offer multiple products that
meet or exceed VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) regulations for low VOC and